Scope & Purpose
The Volunteer Coordinator (VC) of Mobile Loaves & Fishes (MLF) will work across programs to identify, track, manage and steward volunteers. This is a full-time 40 hours per week non-exempt position. Due to the nature and requirements of the position, the hours are flexible to fit the need, but typically include Monday thru Friday, with frequent weekend requirements. The VC must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license. This position reports directly to the Director of Stewardship (DS) of Mobile Loaves & Fishes (MLF).The VC will primarily office at the Community First! Village located at 9301 Hog Eye Rd, Austin, TX 78724 with occasional meetings at MLF headquarters at 5524 Bee Caves Rd, Austin, TX 78746.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Recruit and cultivate relationships with new and existing volunteers.
- Work directly with the Director of Stewardship toward finding a place for ALL groups that desire to volunteer at Community First! Village.
- Screen and match individual volunteers to organizational needs within MLF and opportunities at CF! based on their talents and passions.
- Update and maintain volunteer opportunities, descriptions and auto responses on Salesforce & website, asking program directors for volunteer job descriptions and necessary details to ensure a safe and enjoyable serving experience for all volunteers.
- Maintain and regularly update CF! volunteer needs, ongoing volunteer projects and special projects spreadsheets with Program Directors and lead staff members on each project.
- Answer phone calls, respond to voicemails and emails, schedule and send details to all volunteers about serve event (volunteer waiver, start time, parking, what to wear, what to bring, what to expect, contact info for day of the event, cancellation policy etc.)
- Manage Salesforce volunteer database, tracking of volunteer statistics and monthly reporting of volunteer statistics to program directors.
- Regularly manage and update volunteer survey and run reports necessary to the operation of MLF HQ and CF! Village (For example; all who have indicated on a survey a desire to work with bees or with residents or medical). Utilize data received from surveys to reach more potential volunteers.
- Prepare volunteer program materials (policies and procedures, applications, volunteer agreements, orientation handbooks, etc.)
- Coordinate & collect necessary materials for volunteer training.
- Maintain all necessary calendars that are associated with volunteer scheduling at CF! (Online volunteer calendar (Salesforce), Google calendar for group volunteer serve days & Micro Home/Canvas cottage builds).
- Coordinate field trips to Community First! Village (i.e. schools, scout troops, bible study groups etc.)
- Work with Safety Coordinator to determine appropriate dress code and required training, if applicable, for all volunteer opportunities at CF! Village.
- Responsible for volunteer recognition and appreciation, including volunteer appreciation events and thank you notes to project sponsors.
- Consult Events Coordinator on logistics for volunteer appreciation events.
- Work with Events Coordinator to identify, track, manage and steward volunteers for events at Community First; attend and assist with events & activities as needed.
- Attend staff meetings and other meetings deemed necessary.
- Other duties as necessary to fulfill the mission & vision of MLF.
MLF Purpose / Vision
We empower communities into a lifestyle of service with the homeless.
We provide food and clothing and promote dignity to our homeless brothers and sisters in need.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required
- Must support the core values of MLF and be driven by the Mission. MLF is a faith based organization on whose ideals and philosophy comes directly from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This must be reflected in all of our communications.
- Advocate for the homeless and working poor.
- Embrace a “Just Say Yes!” philosophy within the mission/vision/goals and values of MLF.
- At least 2 years of experience in volunteer coordination and stewardship.
- Solid educational background including an undergraduate degree.
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience in leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- Never ever get tired of saying thank you; never take lightly any of the work any volunteer does.
- Must be able to respond quickly to communication and be and effective communicator.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams and
engaging community partners.
- Comfortable teaching others and giving guidance. Have collaborative leadership style and not be combative and controlling.
- Excellent and persuasive public speaking skills; present self and organization to the community in a positive, sincere and professional manner.
- Ability to gain the credibility and respect of high-performing Board of Directors and MLF Staff.
- Ability to remain poised under pressure.
- Must be proficient in the use of technology, including Salesforce, Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Mail and Drive, and Dropbox.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong organizational skills; detail-oriented.
- Willingness to take ownership of projects.
- Ability to make decisions and manage projects in a changing and fast-paced environment and
anticipate future needs, even when limited information and resources are available.
- Always flexible to change.
- Conflict management skills (in addition to avoiding and/or alleviating conflict, volunteer management professionals need to know how to let volunteers go).
- Good listening skills.
- Ability to work within a budget.
- Neat, clean, and appropriate appearance.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, current liability insurance and reliable transportation.
- Must submit to and pass a criminal record background test and drug screen.
The vision is supported by core values centered on our belief that homelessness is the result of a profound catastrophic loss of family:
- God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life.
- By virtue of being created by God in His image, we are all called to live in community and relationship with Him through each other.
- The family is the original cell of social life.
- You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
- All members of the human family are equal in dignity.
- The Lord God took the man and settled him in the Garden of Eden to cultivate and care for it. (Gen.2;15)
- Transform the way people view the stereo-type of those who find themselves homeless.
- To reconnect the homeless to self, family and community.
- Help the chronically homeless rediscover and utilize their God-given talents to do purposeful work.
- To connect human to human, heart to heart through the fellowship of food and hospitality.
- Inspire people into a lifestyle of abundance by offering their best first.
This is an outstanding opportunity to lead a highly-effective non-profit’s program area. The compensation package will include salary, health, life, 401k and paid time off benefits. MLF is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law.