More than three months ago when the COVID-19 global pandemic made its way to Austin, we began developing a plan to keep our Community First! Village family safe. This plan has been very effective in keeping our neighbors healthy during this time. As the rate of cases of COVID-19 continues to rise within our city, we are adjusting and improving our plan to maintain a safe environment for everyone at Community First! Village.
On Monday, June 22, we learned that one of our missional residents living in Community First! Village tested positive for COVID-19. Here is a brief update on the steps we are taking to continue to mitigate the impact of the coronavirus on our Village neighbors, missional residents and MLF staff members.
- The affected resident immediately went into self-isolation.
- Everyone who may have been exposed to the virus by this resident was notified, and those individuals are currently in self-quarantine in their homes.
- Community Care conducted COVID-19 testing onsite on Tuesday for individuals who were potentially exposed, and we expect to have results back in 5-7 days. We have a plan in place to care for anyone else who may receive positive test results in order to help keep the rest of our community safe.
- We are following the CDC, City of Austin and Travis County guidelines for social distancing, wearing face masks, and frequent handwashing.
- We continue to distribute prepared meals to our Community First! Village neighbors daily.
- We are proactively communicating with all neighbors in the Village to provide them with details related to the coronavirus, along with common health safety and disease prevention practices as shared by the CDC.
- We have increased cleaning and sanitizing efforts to keep all shared areas clean and safe.
- Community First! Village remains closed to all visitors and volunteers in order to protect our neighborhood during the COVID-19 health crisis.
- We are maintaining the highest level of safety precautions for those working and shopping in the Community Market. This onsite market remains open, as it is the closest and safest place for our neighbors to purchase basic food items and other essential needs.
We are grateful that this resident is recovering and for the surrounding community that has come together in inspiring ways as we navigate this challenging time. Please join us in praying that this remains an isolated case and that Community First! Village and all who live and work here stay safe and healthy.
Because of your loyal and compassionate support, we remain confident that we will make our way through this crisis together.