March 25, 2020
On March 24th, Austin/Travis County announced a “stay at home” order in response to the COVID-19 crisis. As an organization that serves the homeless, Mobile Loaves & Fishes is considered an essential service and is joyfully still operating – serving goodness every day. However, the way we are serving our Community First! Village neighbors and our homeless friends living on the streets of Austin is different as we navigate through this challenging time. We are a human to human, heart to heart ministry, so social distancing is particularly difficult for us!
Here are some things MLF is currently doing to continue meeting the needs of our Community First! Village neighbors:
- We are distributing prepared meals to our neighbors daily. (Just more than 180 formerly homeless men and women currently live in the Village.)
- We are collaborating with primary and mental health care service providers to continue providing ‘virtual care’ to our neighbors who need it most.
- We are working to provide alternative dignified income opportunities for the formerly homeless men and women who rely on our Community Works program for their income.
- We are proactively communicating with all Community First! neighbors to provide them with details related to the coronavirus, along with common health safety and disease prevention practices as shared by the CDC.
- We have increased cleaning and sanitizing efforts to keep all shared areas clean and safe.
- Additional hand washing stations are now located throughout the property to ensure easier and more frequent access.
MLF’s food trucks are still operating throughout the city, although service has reduced in recent weeks as the coronavirus has become more prevalent in Austin. We remain passionately committed to serving our homeless neighbors and are currently working with community partners to continue to provide food and essentials to our friends still living on the streets. It’s been inspiring to work with so many partners to ensure that our unsheltered neighbors are not forgotten.
We hope you will check in with us often. The power of your loyal support allows us to push forward with hope for our future. Right now, the best way to help Mobile Loaves & Fishes is through financial support. This allows us the flexibility necessary to make day-to-day decisions on how best to care for and meet the various needs of the men and women who live in Community First! Village and those still living on the streets of Austin. Your donations can help provide meals, cleaning and sanitation supplies for the Village as well as other essentials as we all adjust to the rapidly evolving situation.